Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Finish!

I updated the picture which was originally here with a better one, which I took of My Workstation while it was on display during the 2007 National Counted Cross Stitch Show (NCCSS) competition. Interestingly, this piece received both my highest score (from Betsy Evans), as well as my lowest score (from infamous pottymouth Eileen Bennett). The difference in scoring was LARGE, and specifically based on the workmanship of my stitches, which is what makes it so very strange. You WILL see further discussion about this on INDEPENDENT NEEDLEWORK NEWS at a later date; right now, I am still working on my research for that post.



Today was a beautiful, sunny, and warm day here. I took advantage of the good light to take some better pictures, so now I can share my finished Workstation with you.

Here's a good picture showing the largest hedebo loop I've ever made, LOL -- the ribbon from the base goes through the hedebo loop and is then tied in a bow to keep the Workstation closed.



Here's a side view of it closed ... You won't get a back view because I managed to glue my hinge on a bit crooked. ;>) Perhaps someday when I locate my glue gun, I might fix that part (which would also keep the base more securely attached than I think it is right now).



This is the Workstation opened halfway, with the pin cushion removed. My pin cushion is a bit lumpier than I would like, but that is one of the things that makes it mine!




Next is a closeup of the hedebo loop used to keep the needlebook closed.



Here is a closer look at the needle pages -- already in use, too!



And last, but not least, a picture of the Workstation opened all the way.



This truly was a joy to stitch! The finishing was much easier than I had thought it would be; Judy's instructions made me feel like I could do anything I set my mind to, and the other stitchers in the class were an invaluable resource, too. I am thoroughly looking forward to finding out what Judy's next class offering will be!

6 comments:

Myrna said...

That turned out truly lovely! Enjoy your project, and glow in the accomplishment! It's wonderful!

lena-lou said...

I found your blog through Debs and am glad I did :-)
What an ingenious little 'workstation' this is...you have made a lovely job of it, really well done, it's great!!

Deb said...

It's fabulous Heather, you should be very proud, what a great accomplishment! :)

Anonymous said...

Great Job!! Congratulations!! It is a lovely piece :)

Cheers

nela said...

Hermosooo... felicidadesss

Meari said...

Wow, what a neat project! Well done.