Sunday, May 20, 2007

Eight Random Things about Me

I was tagged by Patti a while ago ...

The rules are as follows:

  1. Each person writes eight random facts/habits about him- or herself and posts it to his or her blog, along with these rules.
  2. At the end of his or her post, each blogger tags eight people and posts their names. (Don’t forget to leave each newly tagged person a comment telling them they’re tagged, and asking them to read your blog for more information.)

Eight Random Things about Me:

  1. I've read a lot of "Six Weird Things About Me" lists and have discovered that, no matter who you are, you and I have in common at least one item on your list. As far as I know, no one tagged me, and that's probably good because apparently I'm very weird; it's probably a list nobody should see, LOL!
  2. I've lived in Alabama, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, and Ohio, and I've moved everything I own a total of 24 times so far in my life. One of my biggest pet peeves is the saying which goes, "If you don't like the weather in [insert state name], wait ten minutes and it will change," because people everywhere say it (and it's rarely true). For the record, New Jersey has the weirdest weather I've ever seen -- it was not unusual for me to wake up to five inches of snow, while there was nothing at all on the ground 20 miles east.
  3. I have always hated my first name (I'm not at all attached to my middle name either) and have seriously contemplated legally changing it. So far, I've decided not to mostly because I'm afraid it might jinx my marriage vows and also because changing my last name after marriage was such a pain in the behind. Another problem is I have no idea what name I'd choose for myself; I've always felt rather identity-less, still do, and probably always will.
  4. I live my life by the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Like every other human being, I have bad moods and make mistakes, so I make a habit of analyzing my actions and am quick to apologize whenever I should. It takes quite a lot to get on my bad side because I'm more willing than most people to forgive, give others "the benefit of the doubt," and believe in second chances, so if and when I finally get pushed to the point of dishing out to someone exactly what they've been repeatedly asking for, they get exactly what they deserve.
  5. I've watched only two seasons of American Idol -- the second one and the current one. I still have a huge crush on Clay Aiken. My pick for this year has been Jordin Sparks from the start. I haven't really cared for Blake Lewis all season, which is more a matter of my not really liking the beat-boxing style than anything else. However, I LOVED his version of Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name (one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs, so this is very high praise from me). The judge I'm most like is Simon Cowell, and the proof is that I'm not afraid to say so. I call things the way I see them. I'll certainly try to be more tactful than Simon usually is, which is in accordance with #4 above, but when that doesn't get the job accomplished, I'll say what needs to be said.
  6. I've lived through two of the US's most expensive hurricanes (Frederick and Floyd), two earthquakes, been hit once by lightning, had my house and everything connected to the phone lines taken out by another lightning strike, and had a tornado take down a tree in our back yard which just missed our house (and the brand new siding we'd installed, along with more still laying on the ground waiting to be installed) AND the neighbor's house both by about half an inch.
  7. Everything but the second lightning strike and the tornado occurred BEFORE I broke a mirror I did NOT touch on my wedding day nearly five years ago.
  8. I don't know how I ever managed to live without being able to hear the sound of a purr every day. To me, there is no sound more comforting; it is the sound of home, and of love. It is what gets me through all the difficult moments -- and especially through being Clueless. It's also the one thing guaranteed to put a smile on my face. It is no wonder I felt identity-less in a family of cat-haters, and yet cats are drawn to me as if I wear catnip perfume. I snuggle my eight precious blessings every day, and often the neighbor's cat, too, who comes over of his own accord regularly and would gladly stay if I didn't send him back to the other people he owns.
I've never been much of a tagger-type. I'll answer these types of emails, but I only send them back to the person who sent them to me; I don't forward them on to others. I guess I'm the same way when it comes to blogs. So if you haven't been tagged (or even if you have and just want to do this one again, LOL) and want to play, please go ahead. Please come back and leave me a comment letting me know to read your blog after you've put up your post because I'd love to read it!