Sunday, September 16, 2007

SERIAL KILLER Carle Foundation Hospital Murders Again

This time, the victim was my beloved father-in-law, Michael Kent Orn, aged 65. I always called him, "Dad."

His death was caused by MEDICAL MALPRACTICE of Carle Foundation Hospital doctors, who, on September 11, 2007, ordered he drink the complete, usual adult dose of a Fleet's Soda preparation mixed with orange gatorade as preparation for a colonoscopy scheduled for the next morning. This would be the last of any kind of food, drink, or nutrition he would receive, other than that delivered intravenously.

Dad DID NOT NEED this typical colonoscopy preparation because he had been a very atypical patient. After being admitted to the hospital through the ER on September 2nd, 2007, he had been on strictly a liquid diet for more than a week while doctors waited for a bowel obstruction to clear. Therefore, there was nothing IN his intestines to flush out with the Fleet's Soda prep -- EXCEPT, very unfortunately, at least part of the original bowel obstruction, which immediately recurred once Dad drank enough of the prep solution.

But Carle Hospital's asshole, I mean, "expert" doctors cannot possibly deviate from any of their prescribed procedures because it would require them to actually THINK.

Dad and I BEGGED the nurses multiple times to check with the doctor, and then to get a doctor in there to actually PHYSICALLY EXAMINE him because he was obviously becoming increasingly uncomfortable and concerned as he drank more of the preparation. Dad's abdomen was distended and rock hard after he'd drunk less than half the Fleet's Soda prep solution. Over the space of two hours, his bowels did not make a SOUND and he did not require use of the bathroom at all; he should have been going fairly constantly starting no more than about fifteen or twenty minutes after he first started drinking the disgusting concoction.

Although the nurses did contact the doctor perhaps three times, no doctor came to actually SEE Dad, much less EXAMINE him; the nurses did not physically touch Dad's abdomen to verify how hard and distended it actually was; and the order from the doctor remained the same: Dad was to drink the entire solution.

Suddenly, having not yet drunk quite half of the Fleet's solution, Dad went into respiratory distress because his obstructed intestines in his hard, distended abdomen were pressing into his diaphragm and lung, which prevented him from taking deep enough breaths to fully and properly oxygenate his blood.

Dad only had his left lung, by the way. His right lung was removed in January of this year, when he was pronounced cured of lung cancer by his doctors. The fact that he had only one lung is why the doctors did not consider surgery to find and remove the bowel obstruction; such a surgery would have taken as much as twelve hours, and this would have required him to be on a respirator. In Dad's weakened state, the doctors believed that once he was put onto a respirator, he would never be able to get off of it, and so the possibility of surgery for the bowel obstruction was eliminated.

The experiences of respiratory distress and having his stomach pumped only made Dad even weaker. Although he tried, they were simply too much from which to recover.

The saddest part of the whole situation is that Dad just retired on Friday, August 31st, 2007, and of course, like anyone does, he had been dearly looking forward to spending his retirement with his family and doing the things he enjoyed. Instead, he was admitted to the hospital within two days of his retirement, and died fifteen days later on September 15, 2007 at approximately 4:30 p.m. central time.


Susan said...

Oh, no! This is so horrible! I can only imagine the distress you are going through at losing him in such a senseless way. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Karen said...

Very sad. I have such a distrust and dislike for the medical field. We're at their mercy, and more and more it's becoming clear that there are a lot of "medical professionals" who should not be trusted with our care.

My sympathies to your family, Heather.

Lady P. said...

This just leaves me speechless...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Diana said...

Oh no! I am so sorry! How devistating!

Anonymous said...

I was nine years old, playing hooky from school for over a month. I confessed that i wasnt really sick to my mom right before a colonoscopy.
In the hopes that truth would stop the needless colonoscopy from occuring. No such luck. They did it to me. And of course found nothing wrong. I bear the blame and the shame as a 9 year old. Just know that Carle would allow it to happen show that they didnt know any better than a lieing nine year old.